By Sabrina Kidwai, co-chair Thoth Awards Committee
One of the events members look forward to every year is the Thoth Awards in the fall. It’s a great time to celebrate the best communication campaigns and components created by professionals in the DC area. It’s an annual tradition and now it’s your chance to take part in the great celebration.
Do you have a successful communications campaign or component(s) that you are excited about from 2018? Is there a PR agency or association/nonprofit that you believe should be recognized as a great communications team? If so, now is your chance to submit for the 2019 Thoth Awards. Deadline to submit is July 1 and the early bird deadline is June 7.
As a Thoth committee, we made a few changes to the program this year, and we believe it will help streamline entries as well as give more members an opportunity to apply for and attend the awards ceremony. Here’s what’s new this year:
- We have changed the awards from a dinner to a lunch. Save the date for Friday, Sept. 27, at the National Press Club. It’s now called The Thoth Awards Luncheon.
- We took a fresh look at all the categories and have combined some and eliminated others, due to lack of submissions over the past four years. A full list of changes is online here.
- In the past, we heard from independent PRSA-NCC members that pricing for Thoth can be prohibitive for a small business, so we wanted to ensure that entry is accessible from a financial perspective. So, we are introducing a PRSA-NCC IPRA price this year: early bird pricing is $95 and regular price is $135.
- We are offering special pricing for first-time Thoth Award submitters. Some of our members haven’t submitted for a Thoth Award before, and we want to encourage them to apply this year, with hopes that they will become repeat applicants. This special pricing is only for PRSA-NCC members.
- In the past, we gave out both the Thoth award and Award for Excellence (entries that were second place). This year, we are only giving out the Thoth awards. It will provide you with more opportunities to network with and celebrate the winners.
During the Thoth Awards Luncheon, we also are going to recognize professionals in the industry with more than 30 years of experience, presenting them with our prestigious Hall of Fame Award. Last year’s winners were Martha Boudreau, Executive Vice President & Chief Communications and Marketing Officer at AARP, and Patty Yu, Principal of theYucrew, and they gave great speeches that inspired us to innovate and challenge ourselves every day. I can’t wait to see who we will honor this year. If you know someone who should be nominated for the Hall of Fame award, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, submit your nomination by July 26.