At Ogilvy, we view entering the PRSA-NCC Thoth Awards as an annual opportunity to showcase work that exemplifies our creed: ideas and solutions that make a real impact in fresh, original, and noteworthy ways.
Ogilvy Washington submitted entries to more than 20 categories last year and was recognized across nine– winning three Thoths and six Certificates of Excellence. The thrill of the evening was taking home our very first Best in Show award for “Kidney Sundays Help African Americans Understand Their Risk for Kidney Disease,” with the National Kidney Disease Education Program.
Entering the Thoth Awards offers your organization the chance to reflect on the work your team does throughout the year and be recognized for it. While winning is great, the pursuit can be just as satisfying. Of course the formula for winning Best of Show is a closely held secret of the Thoth judging committee, but here are a few helpful tips that helped us create winning entries in multiple categories:
- It starts with the work: Great campaigns are rooted in solid research and deliver real results that make a positive impact for your client. Tell that story!
- Every detail matters: Support your entry with meaningful data, detailed results and demonstrated success.
- Enter in multiple categories, but tailor each submission to the language and requirements of each specific category.
- Dare to take a fresh look at your campaign.It is likely that there is a supporting element of your campaign that deserves the spotlight. The Thoth Awards offer the opportunity to bring those elements to the forefront in the “Component” categories. Don’t miss this chance to win!
- Don’t be discouraged if you didn’t win last year – every new client campaign provides a new opportunity to be awarded for your work in partnership with your client. The value of losing is in learning why you didn’t win. Request the score sheet to determine how you can refine and retool your campaign approach. We do – and we’ve learned a lot about our work in the process.
We are looking forward to a great Thoth Gala in 2013. See you (hopefully) in the winner’s circle!
Tiana Allen, Account Supervisor, Ogilvy Washington
Ellen Birek, Vice President External Relations, Ogilvy Washington